Archive for the ‘Dixie Grays Camp #2155’ Category

Stonewall Jackson Camp #1

April 24, 2010

Stonewall Jackson Camp #1, Ladoga

            In the mid-1890’s, a group of Montgomery County men, all former Confederate soldiers, decided to form a camp of the United Confederate Veterans.  The United Confederate Veterans was formed after the Civil War in the South.  This veteran’s organization was made up of former Confederate soldiers and sailors.

            It was decided that the newly organized camp should be in Ladoga, Indiana, due partly to the large number of former Confederates in the area and a friendly atmosphere toward the south.  The original charter had 11 members.  The names were Jonas T. Gish, William P. Camden, John Mangus, Thomas Terry, Isaac Sperry, William Luster, Madison Linkenhoker, Thomas Luster, Jacob Wingert, William Ashwell, and Lewellyn Coppage.  William Camden was elected Camp Commander and Jacob Wingert was the chaplain.  The camp was named the Stonewall Jackson Camp #1, in honor of General Stonewall Jackson.  This camp was the only United Confederate Veteran’s camp in Indiana, and one of the very few north of the Mason-Dixon Line.  During the next ten years, several more members were added.  They were David Kennedy, Braxton Cash, William, “Billy” Mitchell, William Zimmerman, Alex Sheets, and Joseph Moody.

            Stonewall Jackson Camp #1 was in existence until about 1920.  The last member was William “Billy” Mitchell, who died in 1930.